Over the last few days I have been using the Entourage Edge to see its capabilities in achieving my key requirements.
This has included using the e-reader, in particular utilising the annotation functionality to make notes on a paper as part of reviewing the paper. I found this functionality very easy to use and so much better than trying to hand write notes and then provide them to the original writer.
On the tablet PC side I have utilised almost all the functionality now and I have found that I no longer use my desktop or laptop. Touching the internet has been fantastic.
As stated previously the lack of Android marketplace is disappointing. I have however been able to find some apps that can be installed without it. These have been twitroid (great twitter app and works great, worth paying the $5 for the full app), facebook, two internet browsers (Dolphin, which I am using now and is very good, and Opera, also very good), a printer sharing app (Printershare), and Delicious app. For those looking for a way too watch Youtube, use Dolphin browser.
The installed mail program is great and easy to use. The music program is perfect. I would say all pre-installed apps are well developed.
The battery life is quite good, fairly constant use of 5 to 6 hours without a problem.
So, where can it improve:
1. The keyboard is not perfect at picking up keystrokes and I have found using the stylus improves it a little, but I do have to rekey quite a lot due to the recognition errors.
2. In landscape mode the graphics are not quite right across the screen.
3. The dictionary is annoying as it seems to want to make every word starting with “an” as “android”! I have actually turned it off at this stage.
4. The speed of the keyboard in recognising hits is a little slow.
5. The e-reader annotator can also suffer in speed issues.
6. It needs Android marketplace.
7. It needs to be able to read kindle books.
8. Get the camera software working.
9. Introduce hand writing recognition.
10. Make it available overseas!
But saying all this, I love this device. Already it has made my life more effective in reviewing documents, posting to my blog (I am using the device now), using the internet, reading documents, using twitter and facebook, and making using a computer fun again.
So, do yourself a favour and get this device now. This does so much more than an iPad will ever do and is a business tool of real value! I am hooked on my Entouage Edge.
The Innovation of Risk